Thursday, March 10, 2016

Easter Egg Box Card



When I first saw the sneak peak of the SVGCuts new Springtime Box Cards, I fell in love with this Easter egg card. It brought back some Easter memories from childhood.

We always found a diorama sugar egg in our Easter baskets each year and this card reminds me so much of them. That's why I used glittered cardstock to make this - it looks so very sugary and sweet!

The other thing I remember is my grandmother's Easter egg tree.  She used to make these beautiful diorama ornaments from real blown-out egg shells. They were covered in velvet, fabric and beautiful trims. The insides were often coated in glitter and had little figurines inside.  The tree was made of branches from the yard, painted white and anchored in a pretty crystal jar.  I remember sitting at the table studying all of the eggs and trying to decide which was my favorite.  What great memories this card kit brought to mind!



This picture isn't the greatest with it's dark background, but it shows off the glittery paper a little bit better. Glitter is so difficult to photograph sometimes!  I did a watercolor paint job on the flower petals using some Tim Holtz distress stains (weathered wood, broken china & mustard seed for the center) and once dry, tried to do a little shaping to give them a more dimensional look.  

The pearls are another thing I remember about those egg ornaments.  Some of them had pearls all around the opening of the 'window' on the front of the egg.  So of course I had to add some pearls to my card as a nod to nostalgia.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, it looks gorgeous, Lee! I love the glittered bunny and pearl accents and glitter paper! I love the elegant pattern/color combination you used! And what lovely memories.. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete