Friday, February 19, 2016

Winter Lodge


I couldn't wait to make SVGCuts' Winter Lodge as soon as it came out last month, but despite the fact that I finished it weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to post it!

The 3D buildings can seem intimidating to build because they appear so detailed and look very involved. I'm happy to say that if you follow the instructions and watch the assembly video, it's really not that difficult and you end up with something that's so totally WOW!  I think it's all just a matter of taking it one step at a time and pacing yourself. No pressure - it's just paper!

   

And speaking of paper, I tried to keep my lodge pretty neutral in color because I plan to decorate the heck out of it for next Christmas and would hate to clash! I got lucky and found that Hobby Lobby had all of their paper half off the week I was needing some for the lodge, so I made sure I stocked up on the colors I wanted with a few extras thrown in for good measure. Like the pebble paper I used for the porch, chimney and front detail. And I love how the exterior LED lights make the glittery paper I used really sparkle. Kind of like snow!


I also love how Mary did the exterior lighting but I'm the first to admit that I have commitment issues when it comes to permanently affixing things with hot glue! So I took my strand of battery operated LED lights and stuck them on the underside of the roof using washi tape.  Admittedly, there are a few spots where the tape has lifted up slightly, but I just smoosh it down and it's good to go.

If you elect this option, the only other advice I can offer is to beware the pattern of washi tape you use and where you place it under the roof - when it's lit from inside, a printed washi tape can be see through the white roof!  There are plenty of strategic spots behind the snow and trim where you can stick it though.


I can't wait to deck the halls of this lodge for Christmas - I think it's going to look awesome!

Thanks for stopping by!!


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! It's amazing, Lee!! I love the beautiful patterned papers that you used! That pebble paper looks so cool! Love the glittery paper too! Thanks so much for sharing!   ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yes it is amazing. I too would love to do it but finding the right card or paper over here in the UK for the right price is difficult. Wouldn't want to spoil it with tat. I will have a go for this Christmas though. Keep going. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Yes it is amazing. I too would love to do it but finding the right card or paper over here in the UK for the right price is difficult. Wouldn't want to spoil it with tat. I will have a go for this Christmas though. Keep going. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria! I'm just starting to think about updating my previously made 3D buildings for Christmas. It's actually kind of fun to do it at a later date because then you can spend more time fussing over the details. :)

      Delete